Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sign of the week Carrot


I hope you all had a good weekend and had a chance to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather. My family and I did. We got to go pick raspberries and the kids loved it. This harvest time of the year is so fun. My kids have enjoyed picking cherry tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and all sorts of veggies from our garden. I thought I'd share the sign for carrot this week. It's one of the easier vegetable ASL signs and also one that actually has a sign. Many vegetables, like broccoli, don't have their own sign and are just finger-spelled.

Enjoy learning the sign for carrot this week and this little tidbit of info on carrots:

If carrots are eaten raw, only 3% of the b-carotene (vitamin A) is released during digestion. If you pulp the carrots, cook them, AND add oil then 39% of the b-carotene will be released. So cooked carrots (while being my
least favorite form) are healthier for you than raw.

0 comments: